Installation Tool for Grip Studs®
Single Piece including GST
Grip Studs® are small-sized spikes that are not screwed into prefabricated threads. Instead, they are drilled directly into the synthetic material of the Duplo composite horseshoe and prevent slipping and sliding on ice in bad winter conditions. Spikes are very versatile and are regarded as preliminary stage to bigger studs.
The self tapping spikes are drilled directly into the plastic material of the Duplo shoe, therefore you need this specific adapter. Ideal setting is with the top spike thread flush to the shoe surface. Do not countersink the spike in too far.
Careful: Regular grip studs (size L) are too large for the toe area of the STS horse shoes (size M needed). Please keep in mind to choose the fitting grip stud size for your horse shoes as well as the matching adapter!
Careful: The application of the grip studs is only possible with a suitable adapter.
DO NOT USE AN IMPACT WRENCH.
We generally use two spikes per horseshoe and place them below the heels. In many cases, this simple procedure provides for sufficient anti-slide protection.
In order to use spikes in the heel area, we recommend the following equipment:
- a waterproof felt pen
- a cordless drill with speed regulation
- a wood drill bit of 5 mm with centering point
- a spike adapter for the screwdriver
- and, of course, a sufficient number of spikes (size L).
First, use your pen to highlight the desired position of the spikes on the bottom side of the horseshoe. There are three aspects to consider:
- For production-related reasons, there are two holes of about 8 mm in the heel area. These holes are not suitable for spikes.
- The spikes should be placed below the hoof wall to avoid pressuring the sole or the frog.
- At the same time, be careful to keep enough space between the spikes and the rim of the horseshoe in order to keep the spikes from pulling out.